What is myBooks?
myBooks is an all-access course materials program allowing students to have their materials by the first day of class. Studies show that student success increases when students have the correct learning materials from the start of class. With myBooks, students will have access to learning materials for each course they take. If you’re taking a class, you’ll get the required course materials for that class on or before the first day of class. It is as simple as that.
How Does It Work?
Beginning with Summer 2020 registration, the price of required course materials will be included when you register for classes. It will be reflected on your bill as a “myBooks Fee” of $27.50 per semester credit hour. There is no action required to participate in this program. Lee College has partnered with Follett to offer this service to our students.
This program will provide digital textbooks and other course required materials on or before the first day of class. If a digital textbook is not available, then a printed textbook will be provided.
Benefits of myBooks
- Access to critical course materials provided to all enrolled students on or before the first day of class.
- Avoid standing in line at the bookstore.
- Seamless connection to course materials through Blackboard.
- Utilize digital materials via computer or laptop; some materials can be accessed by tablet or smartphone.
- Financial Aid can be used for myBooks.
- How do I access my course materials?
- For digital textbooks, you will receive an email to your myLC email account a few days before the course begins. It will be sent from Brytewave (a partner with Follett) and will contain a link to your course materials.
- Access to digital course material will also be available through Blackboard on the first day of class. Once you log into your Blackboard account, you will click on the Redshelf eReader link. From there, you will see all your digital course materials.
- For printed textbooks, a student will receive an email from the bookstore when their materials are ready to be picked up. If you need your printed materials shipped to you, contact the Lee College Bookstore at email@example.com. Shipping fees will apply.
- What if my course requires an access code?
If your course requires an access code, please contact your instructor for proper instructions.
- Do I have to participate in this program?
No, students are not required to participate. If you do not wish to take advantage of the opportunity for your learning materials to be included in your tuition, you must opt out of myBooks for each semester by logging into myLC Campus and selecting the appropriate opt-out/back-in link.
You will have until the date of record (census date) of the 13-week session for the fall and spring terms (semesters) to opt out or back in. For the summer term (semester) the deadline for the opt-out/back-in will be the date of record (census date) for the 10-week session.
Once you complete the opt-out request, the credit will be reflected on your student account within 1-2 business days. Students who OPT-OUT will NOT receive access to required course materials for ANY enrolled courses for that specific term (semester), regardless of the session.
IMPORTANT: If students opt out, they are responsible for obtaining their required course materials for all courses they are enrolled in for that term (semester). Students may use the Lee College Bookstore or any third-party retailer. Students who register ONLY for courses in the May Mini, Holiday College, or the second five-week session can contact the Lee College Bookstore for opt-out options.
- Once I opt out, can I change my mind?
Yes, if you change your mind and decide you would like to participate, you may opt back in by logging into myLC Campus and completing the same form you used to opt out. You must decide to opt back in by the deadline for that specific term (semester). Once you opt back in, it may take 1-2 business days to receive your course materials.
- If my instructor has recommended course materials, will those be included in the program?
Only materials identified by your instructor or department as “required” are part of the program. All other recommended materials will be made available for purchase at the Lee College Bookstore or other third-party retailers.
- I like keeping my books at the end of the term; can I do that with this program?
Students may keep printed materials. Digital materials will be available based on the publisher’s terms.
- If I qualify for the free tuition for the Summer 2020 term, is the myBooks fee included?
Yes, if you qualify for the free tuition during the Summer 2020 term, the myBooks fee will be included.
- I dropped the course. Do I still need to opt out?
No, you will automatically be removed from the course and access to the materials. However, if you drop after the specified opt-out date for a particular term (semester), there will be no refund. If you drop prior to the date of record (census date) specified for a particular term (semester), you will receive a 100% refund of the myBooks fee for the dropped course.
- Whom do I contact if I have questions about myBooks?