(Reaching Excellence Against Limitations)
R.E.A.L. began in 2015, with its inaugural meeting held on Sept. 28. R.E.A.L. lunched with members from the Running Rebels basketball team, but quickly branched out to the general student population, recruiting men with similar goals of educating and empowering black male students. Over their first semester they created a foundation built on brotherhood, education, empowerment, positive change, and community connections. Through self-advocacy, members acquired their own room on campus to hold meetings and to provide a welcoming environment for scholarly work and socialization for black men. With its main objective to educate and empower black male students, R.E.A.L. embodies a brotherhood dedicated to success.
R.E.A.L. will help manufacture an environment where the black voice is heard and put into action. It will give people the knowledge of what black people were, are and can be. Members will build skills that create a foundation to exhibit in all aspects of like. The organization will make connections in the community that crate beneficial change.
R.E.A.L. Organization Pillars
- Educate the black male on who he was, is and can be.
- Empower the black male voice on campus and help put their thoughts into action.
- Enhance member skills to create a foundation to build a future on.
- Create change throughout our campus increasing retention rates for black males.
- Group Mentoring
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Weekly Meetings
- Appointments with Advisors and Mentors
- Service Learning Opportunities
- Student Government and Leadership Experiences
- Meaningful Peer Connections
- Personalized Study and Meeting Area
R.E.A.L. Officers / Founding Brothers
- Javonte Cooper* President
- Jvon McCormick Vice President
- Ander Pierce* Public Relations
- Anthony Roberson Secretary
- Wilson Thomas* Treasurer
- Roc Johnson* Ambassador
- Quintten Hawkins*
- Craig Bougouneau*
Members and Advisors
- Chad Sebastien, Mentor
- Jessica Falla, Advisor
- Marcus King, Advisor
- Mon.: CLOSED
- Tue.: 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Wed.: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Thu.: 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Fri.: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
If interested in becoming a member, please attend a meeting.
- Spring Semester
- 6:30 p.m. Every Thursday
- Huddle Building, R.E.A.L. Room 232 (Second floor, first door on the left)