Career Coach


Texas Residency

In order to be classified as a Texas resident for tuition purposes, a student must be able to show that he has made Texas his/her home for at least the most recent 12 months. Most persons classified as Texas residents are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. Residence in the state must be permanent, and not just for educational reasons. The Office of Admissions and Records reserves the right to request documentation to prove Texas residency. Documents may include but are not limited to: Texas high school transcript, employment records, Texas drivers license (cannot be temporary), Texas voter registration, lease agreement from a rental complex, property tax statement, utility or bank account statements. Certain foreign nationals may be classified as Texas residents if they graduated from a Texas public high school or earned a GED in Texas, or if they have an application for permanent residence in progress with federal authorities. In addition, certain foreign nationals holding unique visas for their stay in the U.S. may be considered Texas residents. Special documentation for these classifications will be required.

Out-of-District Residency

Students classified as Texas residents are entitled to out-of-district tuition rates, unless they live in the college’s tax district; see below.

In-District Residency

In-state residents of the Lee College tax district qualify for in-district tuition. Geographically, the tax district is found in those portions of Harris and Chambers counties served by the Goose Creek Consolidated Independent School District. Persons who live in this district, whether they own and/or lease property, are eligible. The documents described above for use in establishing Texas residency may also be requested to document residence in the tax district.

Ad Valorem – For Tax District Property Owners Residing Elsewhere in Texas

Texas residents who own property in the tax district, but live in Texas outside the district, can qualify for reduction of tuition to in-district rates. The property owner will be classified as out-of-district, but upon receipt of a paid tax bill for the prior year, tuition will be recalculated at the in-district rate. Dependents of property owner may also qualify. Status must be renewed annually. Inquire at the business office for more details.

Service Area

Community colleges in Texas are assigned “service areas” by the state legislature. The intent is to give each community college district a “territory” it is to serve. The service area of Lee College extends from extreme eastern Harris County to most of Chambers County, and much of lower Liberty County. The cities of Baytown, Highlands, Mont Belvieu, Crosby, Huffman, Anahuac, Dayton, Liberty, Daisetta, Hardin and Winnie are included in the Lee College service area. There is not a special tuition rate for service area residents. Only in-district residents, as defined above, qualify for in-district tuition. Other residents of Texas are considered out-of-district for tuition purposes.


U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and approved foreign nationals who moved to Texas less than 12 months prior to the term of enrollment, and who are taking steps to make Texas their permanent home, are classified as nonresidents for tuition purposes.  These persons can be reclassified as Texas residents when they can prove they have resided permanently in Texas for 12 months. Foreign nationals not permitted to establish domicile or residence in Texas will be charged the nonresident rate indefinitely.